Monday 5 May 2008

And so it begins.....

That's it, I have completed my training plan. Fifty weeks, starting with gentle walking in 30 minute sessions and culminating in 18 milers just before The Big One. As you can see, I am already starting to use the language of the long distance runner.

I am very pleased with the plan. I have scheduled a number of actual races to gauge my progress. Some have been easy to enter, whilst others are more difficult. The highlights of the plan are as follows:

22/06/08: Leeds 10k
21/09/08: Tatton Park 10k
07/12/08: Santa 2k Snowdonia
10/01/09: Edinburgh Winter Run 5k
09/02/09: Longleat 10k
22/03/09: Wilmslow 1/2 Marathon
26/04/09: Flora London Marathon

I couldn't resist the Santa run in Snowdonia. I thought it would give me an insight into running in fancy dress prior to the Marathon. Haven't decided if I will run the Marathon in fancy dress or in serious athlete stuff. I expect I will make a decision nearer the time depending on the times I am running. If it looks like I could win it, I will probably ditch the Rhino costume.

Longleat should give me some motivation, what with all the wild animals, hungry for fresh meat. I expect to get a PB here.

So there it is. I have scheduled races (some of which I still need to register for) and put my entire training plan into a colour coded spreadsheet. Now, all I have to do is complete it. Fifty weeks, seven races, one overweight would be Marathon runner.

No comments: