Sunday 11 May 2008

Day 7

The end of the first week. A week in which I have tested my body to destruction. Well a week in which I have trained three out of the four sessions planned. Not bad considering the number of times I have written a training plan and then given up after the first weekend.

The injury list is already growing. Sore left hip, graized right knee and a sore toe. The toe injury occurred during my second training session. The unfortunate product of having an unusually protruding second toe.

This has always been the case, but the combination of new running shoes and the unusual activity of actually running in them caused my extra long toe to explode. The ensuing pain caused me to investigate the cause and on taking my running shoe off I realised that my new special running ankle socks (bought with the shoes on the advice of the "Fitness Expert") were not only good for rapid sweat absorption but also for rapid blood absorption!

Even closer inspection revealed that the injury was a tiny toe nail nick. It was the special "wicking" technology in the sock that made the blood spread in a way that I hadn't seen since first discovering blotting paper when we were first taught to use a fountain pen at school.
I always ended up with more ink on my hands and up my arms that on the paper. If only they had invented special "wicking" fountain pen training gloves.

The graized knee was actually caused whilst I was painting the bathroom on the day when I skipped training. A salutary lesson that I will keep with me for the next 49 weeks.

So today, at the end of week one, I completed 3.3 miles during my training session. Amazingly I don't feel too bad. Next week the distances get longer, let's hope my body can stand up to the punishment!

No comments: